Saturday, February 10, 2007

The Spencer Clinic

As usual, we were running a little behind schedule!

As we pulled up to the yard, I had to take Grace off the trailer, tack up, boot up and then go into the indoor arena. I am not sure whether she has ever been in an indoor school, but after the first few spooks she behaved really well. She was a bit stressed because she could hear other horses walking around on the yard outside, so did not relax as much as I had hoped she would, but we still got some nice work out of her.

Spencer felt her topline was not 'spongy' enough, and was too much like an ironing board! So he asked me to take her neck a bit deeper and lower to encourage her to stretch through the topline. This worked quite well, and after a few strops she started to swing through her back and really step under.

However, Spencer felt she struggled through the collection because of something in her right hind. He said it could be because she is weaker on her right side, or there could be an old injury just starting to niggle because of her increased workload. So I am going to keep an eye on it, and am aiming to get her saddle rechecked and a physio out by the end of the month.

I also mentioned that I feel Grace fiddles with the bit and loses the constant contact. Spencer said he does not know any young horses that go well in a cavesson nose band, and he rides all of his youngsters in a loose fitting flash. I also asked about bits as the eggbutt she is in at the moment is not my favourite type. He agreed that a loose ring would be better, but a thicker one than that I had been riding in (16mm). So Grace is now the proud owner of a Sprenger Conrad KK Ultra loose ring snaffle in 18mm!

It has only come this morning so I will try it on Monday when I am next riding her. Hopefully, I will feel a difference as the eggbutt seems to encourage her more onto her forehand and I am tentative asking her to come back up because I know how they can pinch the tongue.

Grace has also destroyed her mirror... I have ordered a new one from a different company as I have had a few issues with the previous one I used, and it should be coming in the next few days. Grace misses her 'friend' and keeps looking at the empty gap, but I have promised her it will be coming back soon!

No comments: